- How the American Government Slowly Became a Business, The Guardian, Dec. 18, 2017.
- The War on Federal Employees, The American Prospect, Dec. 11, 2017.
- How Trump is Dismantling a Pillar of the Administrative State, The Guardian, Nov. 7, 2017.
- Trump and the “Deep State:” The Government Strikes Back, Foreign Affairs, Aug. 14, 2017.
- Trump’s Quiet Attack on the Regulatory State is Another Part of His Broader Class War, Slate, Dec. 22, 2017 (with Rajesh Nayak).
- Should America Also Have a Private Spying Agency?, Newsweek, Dec. 11, 2017.
- Erik Prince’s Proposal to Privatize Intelligence Gathering, Just Security, Dec. 8, 2017.
- Jared Kushner and Steve Bannon want to re-privatize the military. That would be a big mistake, L.A. Times, July 20, 2017.
- What to do in case of a constitutional crisis, CNN, Feb. 2, 2017.
- The folly of Trump’s palace guard, CNN, Dec. 30, 2016.
- Can Trump’s Cabinet makeover work?, CNN, Dec. 17, 2016.
- Businesslike Government, Presidential Power, and the Erosion of the Civil Service, Just Security, Nov. 22, 2016.
- Administrative Checks and Balances in the Trump Administration, Just Security, Nov. 11, 2016.
- The Founders anticipated Trump. We can handle this., L.A. Times, Nov. 11, 2016.
Take Care Blog Contributions
- Concluding Thoughts on Constitutional Coup, Jan. 18, 2018.
- You’re So Vain… You Probably Think This Book Is About You, Jan. 8, 2018.
- Why Does DHS Need a Corporate Headhunter?, Dec. 18, 2018.
- Uphold the Oath, Sept. 9, 2017.
- Congress’s Personnel Power, Aug. 22, 2017.
- Re-privatizing the Military Would Be a Big Mistake, Jul. 24, 2017.
- First Tragedy, Now Farce, May 15, 2017 (with Frederic Bloom).
- Making Bureaucracy Great Again: Trump’s New Office of Innovation, March 27, 2017.
- American Cognitive Dissonance, March 17, 2017.
Select Expert References (2017 –)
- David Dayen, Trump Assigned Himself an Awful Lot of Homework That Isn’t Getting Done, The Intercept, June 12, 2017.
- Jeff Horseman, Here’s what Congress should ask fired FBI director James Comey about the Russia probe, The Press Enterprise, May 27, 2017.
- Sonam Sheth, McMaster: ‘I would not be concerned about a Russia backchannel’ between Trump and the Kremlin, Business Insider, May 27, 2017.
- Sonam Sheth, The White House has a credibility crisis — and it’s started to engulf one of its most independent voices, Business Insider, May 27, 2017.
- David Choi, Here are all the controversial things the Trump administration has done so far, Business Insider UK, Feb. 19, 2017.
- Susan Milligan, Revenge of the Government Nerds: Trump’s early turmoil showcases importance of career feds, U.S. News & World Report, Feb. 14, 2017.
- Susan Milligan, Out of Balance?: Congress, the White House and the judiciary are locked in an unusually tense standoff, U.S. News & World Report, Feb. 10, 2017.
- Manuel Madrid, Trump’s Private Security Force: an Operational and Legal Swamp, The American Prospect, Jan. 20, 2017.
- Marketplace (NPR), Jan. 13, 2017. , New plans for Trump trust raise new questions about conflicts of interest,
- Sasha Volokh, The dangers of Trump’s private guard, Washington Post, The Volokh Conspiracy blog, Jan. 2, 2017.
- Matt Richtel, A Police Gadget Tracks Phones? Shhh! It’s Secret, N.Y. Times, Mar. 15, 2015.